Sunday, December 20, 2009

Book Review: "Hush, Hush" by Becca Fitzpatrick


NORA GRAY IS RESPONSIBLE AND SMART
and not inclined to be reckless. Her first mistake was falling for Patch. Patch has a past that could be called anything but harmless. The best thing he ever did was fall for Nora.


After getting paired with Patch in biology, all Nora wants to do is stay away from him, but he always seems to be two steps ahead of her. She can feel his eyes on her even when he is nowhere around. She feels him nearby even when she is alone in her bedroom. And when her attraction can be denied no longer, she learns the secret about who Patch is and what led him to her. Despite all the questions she has about his past, in the end, there may be only one question they can ask each other: how far are you willing to fall?


My Review:


Well, let me start by telling you, and those of you who know my style by now, know that this is not at all my type of book.  Far from it.  We got an ARC to review from Simon and Schuster and it was tagged for Lauryn.  A "Twilight" junkie, this one was perfect for her.  It was on her schedule for this weekend's reading.  Halloween, along with first year Jr. High homework knocked this right off the list of things to do this weekend. I was waiving the book in the air telling her that if she spent less time after school playing around and more time doing her schoolwork, she would have had time to read this.  I happen to take a peek at the back cover, which led me to flip through some pages, which led me to read the first few pages, which finally led me to complete 391 pages over 6 hours of trick-or-treating, driving around (passenger) doing errands, and dinner at a friend's house.  I COULD NOT put the book down. Seriously, I was hooked.  The book is a NY Times Best Seller and first time author Becca Fitzpatrick deserves every last bit of it.  Packed with just the right amount of well, everything, the book was great!


With not too many lead character's, the story revolves around Nora, her best friend Vee, Patch, a fallen Angel, Elliot, Jules, and Dabria.  Nora meets Patch for the first time in biology class when the teacher, "Coach" decides that he is going to switch up the class seating, separating Nora and Vee for a project.  Patch just happens to land next to Nora, and the major portion of the assignment is to find out as much as you can about your partner.  Immediately Patch starts to freak out Nora by knowing way too much about her inner thoughts, but at the same time, attracts her to him just as much.  Over time, both the "freaking out" as well as the attraction continues to grow stronger.


As soon as Nora meets Patch, mayhem strikes loose.  Someone is out to kill Nora, and strange occurrences continue to happen, or at least in her mind they do.  Nora finds herself in the presence of Patch more and more, most of the time unexpectedly. In the mean time, her BF Vee has the hots for this guy Jules, and selfishly continues to push his best bud Elliot on Nora so the four of them can spend time together. All the while, the strange, horrible things that are happening keep getting blamed on (Patch by Vee) to get her to stay away from him and gravitate towards Elliot, again for selfish reasons (Jules).


Several times throughout the book someone tries to kill Nora (and ends up killing or hurting other people they think are Nora).  Nora can not figure out who or why.  The problem is that it could be Patch, as she knows that there is definitely a dark side to him, possibly Elliot who Nora finds out transferred to her school right after being questioned for the murder of his old girlfriend at the private school he attended, or someone else.  Whomever it is, they are wearing a ski mask, so they can not be identified.


There is SO much that I am leaving out, as I usually do.  I can not get myself to write much more here, because I feel like I will be giving too much away, and I really think this one should  be read asap.  I will conclude by telling you a few things that do happen ,but simply leave out the "who's and why's."  Towards the end of the book, Nora does find out who is trying to kill her and why.  I definitely thought that I should have figured that out, but Becca leaves the door open for anyone, so of course I didn't have that one pinned.  She also finds out what she had been deeply desiring to know throughout the entire story.... who is Patch, what is Patch, and why did he fall into her life.  The good news is that there will be a book number two, which Becca leads you right into.  I guess I can tell you that both Nora and Patch are in book number two. The rest you need to figure out yourself.


What was great, for me at least, and kept me turning page after page was there was not too much of anything in the book- love, hate, good, bad, murder, blood, or anything else that has prevented me from reading this type of book before.  I felt that each had just the right amount of it sprinkled into the story.  I would be willing to promise that this one is worth getting and that you will not be disappointed. Again, for those of you who know my style, for me to say that about a book that does not fit my normal read, that is a lot coming from me.  I hope you take my advice and get this one.


I have included the book trailer below, as perhaps it will give you a bit more of a sense of what the book is about.  I always hate giving too much away, and tried hard here not to.  In case you are looking for a bit more, the trailer should cover it.  Enjoy, and if anyone else has read "Hush, Hush", please feel free to fill any holes I might have left.  


Dave



35 comments:

  1. Hi, Dave and family!

    I'm grinning so hard it hurts - what a fantastic review!! I'm so glad you loved the book and I'm glad you're excited for Crescendo! Can't wait for our interview...

    Thanks for being so awesome :)
    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Review Dave. I really enjoyed this book.
    ~Pixie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good review I recently finished reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Hush, Hush. A long while ago, I never would have picked up this book convinced that anything with paranormal elements wasn't for me. I'm really glad I gave this particular genre a chance. Also, great review! =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! Awesome review! I can't believe that the author of this book was the first to comment! I mean, wow-weeee!

    Hush, Hush definitely sounds Twilight-ish, which is a very good thing for me. I'll definitely be looking for it. Also, I thought it was funny that it wasn't even your type of read, and you got hooked. That must say a lot about this books' quality. ^_~

    There will be an interview?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I really enjoyed this book...I need to read it again for the different ending though since I read the ARC

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review!! I loved Hush, Hush and it's awesome to hear that a guy loved it as well. There are so many things (you mentioned a bunch) about this book that just hooks readers and I know I'm looking forward to the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really want to read this book. I've been hearing so much about it. And it sounds really good...ah!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - an awsome review from someone that didn't think they would like the book. I keep reading raving reviews about this book, but all from people who adore this kind of book. So I've been wondering how awesome it really is. Sounds pretty amazing. Guess I'll definitely be picking up a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, I sort of want to read this book. Now I know it must be pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all for the kind words! If you looked at the other comments, Becca was the first to comment on her review! We are going to be interviewing her in January probably. Perhaps I will speak to her and see if maybe we can delay it and be one of the first in line for when book 2, Cresendo comes out. I believe it is set for sometime early on in 2010!

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait for your interview with Becca *squeee*

    This book is hot. It was love at first sight (the cover) for me. It's definitely a page turner. I've read the ARC and I'm expecting the finished version in the mail soon; can't wait to see how the two differ.

    I hope Lauren gets to read it soon. I'd love to hear her thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't wait to read this book!!! :D:D:D
    Thanks for the review!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Read this, and wasn't really a huge fan, because I'm also not a huge fan of the Twilight series. In fact, when If finished it, I laughed, because it was SO parallel to Twilight it was ridiculous. Maybe a bit better, though. I kind of like angels more than vampires. And I'm pretty sure the whole 'smell' thing is better for angels too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Raspberry: Yeah, I'm not a fan of the Twilight series either, and everything I've seen on this makes it seem like it's a bit too derivative for my taste. But if I was going to read one or the other, I'm like you-- I'll take angels over vampires any day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the review. I've been wanting this books since it came out. I had it in my hands the other day at the bookstore along with about 5 other hardbacks. I realized I couldn't spend $17.99 X 5 books. So I decided to go with one, Kristin Cashore's Fire, only because I recently read Graceling and loved it.

    I am SO looking forward to the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have been wanting to read this books since I first heard about it. I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good review! A guess twilight fans will like it...which means i should like it. :) lol. I like the trailer :)))! I agree with xxsquigglesxx. I have also been waiting to read this book ever since I first heard about it and I love the cover as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This book is totally making it's rounds. I've heard several people say that even though it isn't the type of book they normally read, they still loved it. It excites me. I have yet to read it, but man oh man when I get my grubby hands on a copy, it should be prepared to be devoured.

    -Jess
    (Find the Time to Read)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I bought this book the other day and I can't wait to start reading it. It is good to know that it really had you hooked, that is what I look for in a book.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow. Great book trailer. I'm so glad to see an adult read it and loved it. It's on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really look forward to reading this book. Thanks for the trailer link and review.

    Miranda
    http://sweetvernalzephyr.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great review...I have heard about this book and you have made me want to read it all the more!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great review. I want to read this one so much. And now I want to read it even more. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's nice to read a review by someone who isn't usually found reading this type of book :) You did a great job.

    I enjoyed this book too but the ARC I got has a different ending than the final book. Not that different but just a tish!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Well, again, your tantalizing questions make me want to pick up the book, just to find out the answers.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this book. Funny that you couldn't put it down. I love your review...and it's good you don't say everything...I like to be surprised.

    dorcontest at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have seen this book in so many blogs and wondered about it but yours is the first review I've read. I think I finally understand why this book is so popular as it sounds like a riveting story. I have added this to my TBR list.
    Thank you for another great post!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great review. This one has been on my radar and TBR pile for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I really enjoyed this book as well. So interesting and different!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I've heard amazing things about this book and I've been meaning to pick it up but just haven't gotten the chance. I have to say this though: THE COVER IS AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I can't wait to grab a copy of this book. I've been wanting to read it since it came out. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This book sounds excellent! I love the review, and I'm so glad I finally picked it up today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. You've made me even more excited to read the book! Awesome reveiw!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I loved this book too!! It was great. I also read Fallen by Lauren Kate it is also about fallen angels so if you liked Hush Hush you should pick up this one. I do have to say I liked Hush Hush a little better but they are both still great reads.

    ReplyDelete